Saturday, September 26, 2009

Season 15 - Here We Come!

WOW! I can't believe we actually at Season 15! This is going to be an amazing season full of some really great things... not least of which is some fantastic music.

We've just finished our 2nd rehearsal and already the sound we make just leaves me with chills. Dr. King has an amazing way of just pulling out of us this wonderful blend and sound. I get so energized at each rehearsal that I find it hard to get to sleep once I get home... the tunes just keep whirling around in my mind as I lay there trying to drift off.

I can't wait for our first concerts this October to share this amazing music with my friends.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

A post about your upcoming 2010 Summer trip to perform in Canterbury Cathedral:

I found Canterbury to be a fascinating place. It is so inspiring to walk the stones trod by so many Canterbury pilgrims (like those in Chaucer’s famous Prologue to the Canterbury Tales) and to stand on the spot where Thomas a Becket was murdered. They have placed a rather ugly monument at the spot, but before they did, a student of mine said she could see bloodstains on the floor! So much for the power of suggestion. A guided tour of the crypt yielded a story of a visitor encountering a ghost-like regiment of Roman soldiers marching through the space; Canterbury was a Roman settlement long ago! The space in front of the cathedral (I think it’s called the Close) houses little souvenir shops, much as I imagine were there in the 14th century when Chaucer’s pilgrims came and purchased trinkets to bring to the folks back home. The town’s main gate is impressive, too, at the head of a pedestrian walkway down the hill to the cathedral. When we were there for the first time (Summer 1981), workers digging a new sewer line had unearthed a Roman hypocaust—a series of pipes carrying hot water underground to act as a heater—the hole was left open for a while and fenced off so the curious could see what the workers had found. As I remember, it was in front of a Woolworth’s type of store; there were supposed to be ruins in the store’s basement. Side streets are quaint and charming and very narrow, and there is a stream behind the buildings that is very picturesque and photogenic. Look for the lodgings frequented by pilgrims on the main drag. Just imbibe the atmosphere and thrill of standing in a place you’ve read about, that was memorialized by a great work of art. And you will be performing in a magnificent place. Wish I could be there with you!