Monday, August 18, 2008

Last Day in Vienna

So--I stepped off the bus, intent on going to see one of the art museums during our final two hours in Vienna.  But--luckily for me, two other Schola members asked me what I was doing and said they were going to the Mozart House--the place where Mozart lived for only a few years--but, some very productive years.  It hadn't occurred to me to go--but, I suddenly realized I could see art anywhere--this was Mozart's city.  I walked with them to the house.  And what a wonderful decision it was.  It was a very COMPLETE exhibit--educating me--a sort of music history novice--on the major events, people, ideas and music of Mozart's life.  There was something about walking through the room so that apartment that made Mozart's perspective come alive.  I looked out the window and could see what Mozart saw!  The other thing I took away from this was that Mozart was a freelancer during this period!  Even such a well-known artist made his way on his own terms--this was a very encouraging concept to learn.  I think this is because often I struggle with wanting to make enough money to support my self but also to live a life devoted to art--writing and photography.  It is always the struggle--since the 18th century--I as a 21rst Century person should not feel alone in this struggle to live an artistic life while also trying to make money.  As Randall Svane said to me at lunch the other day--it's really about the fight--about putting in the time--showing up to make art--whatever your milieu is--that's what it is about--and, it really is what the artistic quest is about.  People in this group show this--everyone seems to have a passionate hobby outside of work--some music--some other pursuits.  This tour enriches my knowledge of how the life of an artist might be lived because of all of the chances we have had to talk talk talk and share impressions on everything ranging from music to art to beer to politics to how to make art a part of one's life.   

No comments: